Forever Young

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Politics

I am not a person who really “gets into” politics. Of course this election has been a bit more dramatic than most, so it has gotten me thinking about different things. One thing that I cannot get off my mind is the fact that Obama is pro-choice and McCain is pro-life. So, what does that mean?
As I understand it, a person who is pro-choice thinks that if a woman gets pregnant, she should have the right to choose whether or not she wants the baby. She can choose to carry the baby and give birth or she can choose to abort her baby. If a person claims to be pro-life then he believes that the life of the baby should be protected, and the mother does not have a choice as to whether or not to carry the baby or abort the baby. I must say that I do not understand the stance of being pro-choice. I do not understand why a mother would have the choice to kill her baby or let him live. In our society, we have moral laws which govern us. One of those laws is that we cannot murder another individual except for the case of self defense. So, why do these laws not apply to children in the womb? Is it just because we cannot “see” them that it becomes okay? If a mother delivered her baby and then threw the baby into the dumpster, would she be convicted of murder? Yes. So why can she murder her baby as long as it is in the womb? I just don’t see the logic there. Perhaps some people believe that the baby is not a “real” baby until it is born. I think that through the technology of ultrasounds it is clearly seen that a baby is a “real” baby even in the womb. And I also know of healthy children who were born very prematurely. So, how could a baby born at 23 weeks survive if he were not a “real” baby? So when does a baby in the womb become a “real” baby?
Psalm 139:13-16 is a Psalm of David talking to God and it says:
13For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.14I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.15 My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.16Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.
I think David knew that God considered him a “real” person even while he was being formed in his mother’s womb. Are there people who just do not believe this? And if they don’t, when would they say that the baby becomes “real?” If the baby becomes “real” at full term, then what about the baby born prematurely?
So, maybe some people do believe it is a “real” baby, but just don’t think a woman should be forced to carry the baby if she does not want to. I don’t really get that either. What if she does want to carry the baby and then once the baby is born she decides she does not want the baby? Is it okay to kill it then? What if my 2 year old is more than I can handle and I want to “get rid” of him. Is that okay? What if my teenager is out of control and I do not want to deal with him anymore. Is that okay? Or is it only okay when my child is hidden from sight in my womb? Maybe if I keep my child locked in a closet so no one ever sees him it would be okay to kill him when I decide I don’t want him anymore.
And the argument that a drunk driver who kills a pregnant woman should be convicted of double murder sounds right to me. But how can people who agree with this then say that abortion is okay? I guess I’m just really confused and don’t get it. Am I just narrow minded?

So, let’s say I agree with all Obama’s policies on healthcare, the economy, foreign relations, the war in Iraq, etc. (hypothetically, I'm not saying I actually do) Should I vote for someone who believes it is okay to kill babies? Are some issues just more important than others? If I annually support a local pro-life clinic, should I lay those opinions aside for this election? If you are an Obama supporter, I would love to hear your opinions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home