Forever Young

Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquake!

We were awakened this morning by an earthquake! It was about 5:39am and I heard a very loud strange sound. It sounded like a huge wind that was blowing rocks against the house. It even woke Todd up, which is saying something since he is a deep sleeper! He said, "what was that?" Then I asked him if he was shaking and he said no. It was then that I realized it was probably an earthquake. Back in June of 2002 we were visiting Louisville in preparation for coming to seminary. We were staying in a motel and spent our time checking out the city, trying to find somewhere to live and trying to find a job for Todd. While we were resting in our motel one afternoon, we realized that the bed was shaking. We though perhaps the maids were in the room next door doing some major cleaning. But, we found out later that day that what we had felt was an earthquake. So, this morning, we were a little more familiar with the feeling. After the loud windy noise subsided, I could hear things in the house rattling. It lasted for several seconds and then I heard Bekah's door open. She came in and asked, "Mommy, what is that shaking?" Todd told her we weren't sure and sent her back to bed. I was quite surprised since she has never come out of her room during strong thunderstorms or anything. Since Todd's alarm was already going off, he soon got up and looked outside and saw nothing strange. There was obviously no wind because the umbrella on our patio was still in place. I turned on the TV and it was confirmed that yes, we had felt an earthquake. It was a 5.4 which means it was a decent size but not terrible. Later in the morning, I woke Brandon up and the first thing he said was, "Last night, during the night, I heard a rattling. I thought Daddy was shaking my door and trying to get in my room or something. I thought the walls were rattling."
I'm glad we trust in a sovereign God who is not surprised (as we were) by things like earthquakes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home