Forever Young

Monday, September 14, 2009

Apple Pickin' Time

Last Friday, we got to go on a field trip to Huber Orchards! We got to meet Johnny Appleseed and learn all about the process of picking, cleaning, and bagging apples.

This is Johnny Appleseed telling the kids all about apples!
This is an apple ladder. At Hubers, all the apples are hand picked.
This is the huge refrigerator where they store the apples. Yes, it was cold in there!
This is part of the apple cleaning process.
This is a guy sorting bruised apples to be used for apple cider.
These guys are bagging up the good apples to be sold.

We also enjoyed the petting zoo and playground at Hubers.


Then we got to ride the wagon out to the orchards to pick our own apples!


There's nothing like eating a fresh apple right off the tree in the orchards!

We picked red delicious, golden delicious, jonagold and mutzu apples. We really wanted fujis, but they were not ready yet. I guess that means we'll have to go back in a few weeks!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:52 PM, Blogger Tanja said…

    I have YET to take my kids to an orchard to pick their own apples, but I really want to. Once upon a time, back when I reported up in Crossville, I did a story on an orchard up there. I always mean to get the kids there when we visit back home. Hmmm, we're supposed to go for a visit soon. I may just have to have Bruce swing us by. Looks like you all had a wonderful time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home